A wonderful course that circumnavigates Bellingham Bay while offering sea & mountain vistas. Starting on Gooseberry Point with several miles along a bluff overlooking the bay, through rural farmland, through beautiful neighborhoods, along waterfront greenways and over top Bellingham Bay before returning to an exciting finish downtown.
Marathon Run & Walk
- Start time: 7:30 AM (7:00 AM for early start walkers only) - NO LATE STARTS
- Participant age must be at least 18 years by day of race
- Registration limited to 550 participants
- Participants receive a gender-specific Leslie Jordan technical shirt (sizes S to XXL; check fit guide for accurate size selection)
- Finishers receive a commemorative finisher medal
- Free shuttle bus transportation for marathon participants is available from E Maple St & Cornwall Ave (near finish area at Depot Market Square) to marathon start line – FOR PARTICIPANTS ONLY.
- Opening ceremony at the beautiful Wex'liem (Place of the Frogs) Community Building, start on Lummi Nation School entrance driveway off Blackhawk Way on Gooseberry Point
- About the Marathon:
- Start: 48.7276°N -122.6545°W
- Finish: 48.7476°N 122.4805°W
- Start: 32m; 105ft
- Finish: 20m; 65.6ft
- Total elevation gain is 568ft, among the lowest of Pacific Northwest marathon courses.
- Mile markers every mile; kilometer markers every 5 KM
- USATF Certified Course (certification # WA11034MN)
- Hydration stations with water and electrolyte-enhanced drink will be be located approximately every 2 miles
- Energy gel will be available at miles 8, 16 and 22
- Petroleum jelly will be available at all hydration stations
- Medical Aid station at miles 12, 16, 20 and 24
- When the course closes it will no longer have aid stations nor other course support; participants will need to abide by normal pedestrian rules.
IMPORTANT: Late/Race Day Packet Pick-up is at Depot Market Square. Packets are not brought to the marathon start.
Marathon Course Highlights
Marathon Course Description
On Gooseberry Point on Lummi Reservation, athletes start on the entrance driveway to Lummi Nation School off Blackhawk Way. The descent from the start affords a beautiful view of Lummi Island across Hale Passage. A short gentle ascent leads to breathtaking views across Bellingham Bay of islands, Bellingham and mountains for miles 2 through 5. Miles 6 through 15 are a breeze with little elevation change along Haxton Way Pedestrian Trail and country roads with a stretch along Red River and views of Mount Baker. Cross over the Nooksack River then gently ascend 125 feet over miles 16 and 17. Get a rush of energy as marathoners and half marathoners merge near mile mark 17, then enjoy peeks of Mount Baker through Birchwood Neighborhood while coasting down 140 feet over miles 18, 19 and 20. Athletes make their way to downtown Bellingham along the waterfront for miles 21 and 22. Leaving downtown Bellingham for miles 23 and 24, the course runs along the evergreen South Bay Trail through Boulevard Park over-water across 172 meters long Pattle Point Trestle and 400 meters long Taylor Avenue Dock while admiring Grace and views, sounds and smells of the bay. Gently ascend through mile 25. For the final mile, enjoy a gentle descent with panoramic views of Bellingham Bay with the crowds cheering athletes to the finish line near Depot Market Square.
Marathon Course Directions
Start adjacent to the Owl Totem on the entrance driveway to Lummi Nation School off Blackhawk Way on Gooseberry Point on Lummi Indian Reservation, turn right on Blackhawk Way heading east down gentle descent with view of Lummi Island across Hale Passage, left on Lummi View Dr, left on Lummi Shore Rd, enjoy 4 miles of beautiful bay, island, city and mountain views, continue of Lummi Shore Dr, left on Kwina Rd, right on Haxton Way Pedestrian Trail, right on S River Rd, right on Slater Rd, right on Ferndale Rd, left on Rayhorst Rd, turnaround on Rayhorst Rd, left on Ferndale Rd, pass course half way point, left on Marine Dr, cross bridge over Nooksack River, continue on Country Ln, left on Marine Dr, cross bridge over railroad tracks, left on Alderwood Ave merging with half marathon athletes, continue on Airport Dr, right on Alderwood Ave, cross over then turn right on Bennett Dr, left on Cottonwood Ave, continue along short pedestrian path to right on Firwood Ave, left on Cedarwood Ave, right through Birchwood Park to Coast Millennium Trail descending into Squalicum Creek Park, continue on Squalicum Pkwy, continue on Roeder Ave, continue on W Chestnut St, right on Cornwall Ave, left on Maple St, right on Railroad Ave, left on E Laurel St, right on South Bay Trail crossing pedestrian bridge, cross Wharf St to continue on South Bay Trail, cross railroad tracks to Boulevard Park, cross Pattle Point Trestle, continue on S Bay Tr, cross Taylor Avenue Dock, ascend to left on 10th St, ascend on S State St, continue on Boulevard St, continue on N State St, left on E Laurel St, right on Railroad Ave to finish line near Depot Market Square.