Note: information below is from 2018. This page will be updated as 2019 details are confirmed.
- Teams of 2-5 cover our normal beautiful point-to-point marathon course (five relay legs = average of 5.24 miles per leg), starting on Lummi Nation and finishing in downtown Bellingham.
- Each team member receives short-sleeve gender-specific tech shirt with registration (long-sleeve shirt upgrade available), all members of finishing teams receive commemorative medals.
- Spacious, heated indoor waiting in Wex’liem Community Building at start area.
- Pacing available for various finish times – see our Pace Groups page for details (note: pacers are for the marathon race in general, not specifically for relay teams).
- Mostly road, with stretches of urban trail; some hills but virtually no net elevation change.
- Finish area festival featuring live music, food, and beer garden!
- Expected start time: 7:30 am
- Finish line close time: 2:00 pm
- Start location: entrance driveway to Lummi Nation School (2334 Lummi View Dr, 98226)
- Finish location: Railroad Ave in front of Depot Market Square (1100 Railroad, 98225)
Course Overview (Entire Course):
- Total elevation gain = app. 700 feet.
- See Marathon Course Details for highlights, description, and turn-by-turn directions
- Leg 1: (a) race start to (b) Lummi Shore Rd near Scott Rd
- Leg 2: (a) Lummi Shore Rd near Scott Rd to (b) Slater Rd/Ferndale Rd
- Leg 3: (a) Slater Rd/Ferndale Rd to (b) Alderwood Ave near Airport Dr
- Leg 4: (a) Alderwood Ave near Airport Dr to (b) Cornwall Ave near E Maple St
- Leg 5: (a) Cornwall Ave near E Maple St to (b) race finish
See Logistics section for exchange point details.
- Other than pre-race shuttle transportation from the finish area to the start area, BBM does not provide any transportation. Teams must arrange their own transportation to/from relay exchange points. Click here for transportation instructions and aerial images of exchange points/designated parking areas.
- Normal marathon course support is available to relay teams (as outlined on this page). Teams are responsible for providing any additional support they need.
- Questions? See our 2018 Relay Team FAQ Sheet.
- Gear check available at start – items will be transported to finish during race
- Chip timing provided by ChronoTrack
- Markers every mile
- Course support
- Aid stations with water, electrolyte drink, and petroleum jelly located app. every 2 miles
- Gel stations near miles 8, 16, and 22
- Toilets app. every 2.5 miles
- Medical stations near miles 12, 16, 20, and 24
- Team members must be at least 12 years old on race day
Please also see our Registration Fees & Options page.