Note: the details below are from 2017. 2018 course details will be published as they are confirmed.
Note: click “Menu” (on upper right corner of map), then “Hills,” to see elevation profile. Total elevation gain is approximately 700 feet.
Course Turn-by-Turn Directions
- Start adjacent to the Owl Totem on the entrance driveway to Lummi Nation School (2334 Lummi View Dr, 98226) off Blackhawk Way, near Gooseberry Point on Lummi Nation
- Right on Blackhawk Way, heading east down gentle descent with view of Lummi Island across Hale Passage
- Left on Lummi View Dr
- Left on Lummi Shore Rd; enjoy 4 miles of beautiful bay, island, city and mountain views; continue inland on Lummi Shore Dr
- Left on Kwina Rd
- Right on Haxton Way Pedestrian Trail
- Right on S River Rd
- Right on Slater Rd
- Right on Ferndale Rd
- Left on Rayhorst Rd, turnaround on Rayhorst Rd
- Left on Ferndale Rd, pass course half way point
- Left on Marine Dr, cross bridge over Nooksack River, continue on Country Ln
- Stay right onto Bancroft Rd
- Left on Marine Dr, cross bridge over railroad tracks
- Left on Alderwood Ave, merge with half marathon athletes, stay right to continue on Alderwood Ave
- Cross over, then turn right on, Bennett Dr
- Left on Cottonwood Ave, continue along short pedestrian path
- Right on Firwood Ave
- Left on Cedarwood Ave
- Right through Birchwood Park to Coast Millennium Trail, descend into Squalicum Creek Park, continue on Squalicum Pkwy, continue on Roeder Ave, continue on W Chestnut St
- Right on Cornwall Ave
- Left on Maple St
- Right on Railroad Ave
- Left on E Laurel St
- Right on South Bay Trail, cross pedestrian bridge, cross Wharf St to continue on South Bay Trail, cross railroad tracks to Boulevard Park, cross Pattle Point Trestle, continue on S Bay Tr, cross Taylor Avenue Dock, ascend
- Left on 10th St, ascend on S State St, continue on Boulevard, continue on N State St
- Left on E Laurel St
- Right on Railroad Ave to finish line in front of Depot Market Square (1100 Railroad Ave, 98225)
A wonderful course that circumnavigates Bellingham Bay while offering sea & mountain vistas. Starting near Gooseberry Point with several miles along a bluff overlooking the bay, through rural farmland, through beautiful neighborhoods, along waterfront greenways and over top Bellingham Bay before returning to an exciting finish downtown.
Near Gooseberry Point on Lummi Nation, athletes start on the entrance driveway to Lummi Nation School off Blackhawk Way. The descent from the start affords a beautiful view of Lummi Island across Hale Passage. A short gentle ascent leads to breathtaking views across Bellingham Bay of islands, Bellingham and mountains for miles 2 through 5. Miles 6 through 15 are a breeze with little elevation change along Haxton Way Pedestrian Trail and country roads with a stretch along Red River and views of Mount Baker. Cross over the Nooksack River then gently ascend 125 feet over miles 16 and 17. Get a rush of energy as marathoners and half marathoners merge near mile mark 17, then enjoy peeks of Mount Baker through Birchwood Neighborhood while coasting down 140 feet over miles 18, 19 and 20. Athletes make their way to downtown Bellingham along the waterfront for miles 21 and 22. Leaving downtown Bellingham for miles 23 and 24, the course runs along the evergreen South Bay Trail through Boulevard Park over-water across 172 meters long Pattle Point Trestle and 400 meters long Taylor Avenue Dock while admiring Grace and views, sounds and smells of the bay. Gently ascend through mile 25. For the final mile, enjoy a gentle descent with panoramic views of Bellingham Bay with the crowds cheering athletes to the finish line near Depot Market Square.